A Deck Captain assigned to work on a Hydraulic Suction Dredge is responsible for setting up and staging each phase of the hydraulic dredging operation, and planning for future jobs. This requires that he/she supervise the activities of various crews handling equipment and vessels engaged in various stages of the setting up, dredging, and breaking down pipelines and equipment. He/she is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the vessels and will conduct periodic assessments and inspections. The Deck Captain reports directly to the Dredge Captain of the dredge. He/she will discuss all necessary repairs, requisitioning of equipment and supplies with the Dredge Captain and make available the crew needed to perform the work. He/she will meet with the Dredge Captain, Engineers, and various other crewmembers, shore personnel and outside vendors to oversee the maintenance, repair and functioning of the vessel as ordered by the Dredge Captain. He/she will periodically access data in various programs, and make entries into log books and ledgers. He/she will participate in training and safety meetings. May lift, carry, pull or push miscellaneous equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 lbs.
This position is located in the Gulf Coast.
- Commitment to work safety and follow all safety policies and procedures.
- Have the ability to plan and supervise the operation of a Hydraulic dredge and associated support equipment consisting of support barges, workboats, launches, and tugboats.
- Has the ability to learn and use the procedures on a vessel such as firefighting, first aid, and use of life saving equipment.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to communicate orally and in writing in the English Language.
- Complete a pre-employment physical examination and drug screen.
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information or any other protected category.