Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Co. LLC is a specialty dredging contractor based in Oak Brook, IL, with regional offices and projects throughout North America. Our experience enables us to adapt quickly to unique problems and resolve potentially costly situations for our clients. In addition, we have the proven ability to customize systems and management teams for individual projects.
Employees are an integral part of ensuring our success, and as such, our staff is required to meet the highest expectations. We take pride in our renowned safety standards and require employees to utilize safe work practices always. We count on our employees to perform in fast-paced environments while still satisfying customer needs and maintaining effective working relationships. The ability to proactively identify issues and offer innovative solutions is also expected from our employees. We are committed to our employees and, in turn, expect our employees to contribute to the success of Great Lakes Dredge and Dock.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Health, Safety and Environmental, the Regional Safety Manager will directly report to the Senior Vice President of the Gulf Region and be in responsible for monitoring, coordinating and managing the company safety programs. As well as directing personnel and managing safety resources at the divisional level.
This position will be based out of the Houston, TX office and will support the Gulf Region.
The ideal candidate must have strong communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as, prior experience presenting information in a professional manner to external clients, craft field personal, and all levels of the management team, including senior leadership. This person will have proven to be successful at building rapport and sustaining productive and open internal and external relationships.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures regional operations are planned and conducted in a safe and complaint manner in accordance with regulations & policies
- Manage field safety personnel in support of regional operations (as assigned)
- Represent Great Lakes Safety Department in a professional manner and be onsite point of contact for employees, clients and regulators
- Monitor trending and conduct inspections, audits and manage corrective actions in regional facilities and on project sites
- Coordinate, conduct and document safety trainings, meetings and incident review meetings
- Provide technical safety solutions, develop safety plans and submittals, and procurement of safety equipment or supplies
- Perform basic administrative duties using Microsoft Office Suite
- Other tasks as assigned
- 5+ years’ experience performing the primary duties and responsibilities of this position
- 5+ years’ experience in civil, marine or industrial construction, utility experience, strongly preferred
- Incident management, regulatory action and inspection, and Jones Act experience, strongly preferred
- Must be willing to travel 60% of the time.
- Must be collaborative in nature, with the ability to bring fresh ideas to the team and engage in constructive conflict with the team
- Must be able to identify with our personnel and have empathy for their challenges to provide solution
Education & Certifications:
- CSP/CHST or similar credential, preferred or similar credential
- Occupational Health and Safety Certification or degree or similar degree in relevant discipline
- OSHA 30 hour, required
- USACE EM385 training/certification, preferred
- Trainer certifications preferred: FA/CPR/AED, OSHA 500, Rigging, Confined Space, HAZWOPER
- Maintain a valid Driver’s License with acceptable driving record required
Physical Demands / Working Environment:
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of environments and conditions, walk/stand in areas with irregular surfaces
- Ability to wear protective clothing and equipment including, but not limited to fall protection, respirators, FRC’s, etc.
- Ability to squat and climb
- Capable of travel via various types of aircraft, vehicles and vessels
- Competitive salary
- 401(k) program that includes 100% company matching of the first 6% of employee contributions with immediate vesting.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
- Annual profit-sharing contributions by the company to participants’ 401(k) accounts based on company’s annual performance.
- Medical, Dental, Prescription, Life and Disability insurance plans.
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information or any other protected category.