This Risk Manager is responsible for the overall supervision and management of GLDD’s marine insurance program and property & casualty insurance programs including establishing standards and specifications for insurance coverage and overseeing the solicitation of proposals for required programs. The Risk Manager obtains the necessary certificates, bonds and permits required by State and local laws. They will oversee all programs, policies, and procedures concerning risk management, loss prevention and claims management and coordinate, implement and administer these programs to assure objectives are attained. The Risk Manager works closely with the Director of Safety, the Corporate Controller, the Chief Legal Office and Human Resources to execute these responsibilities.
- Conducts self in an appropriate manner as a representative of GLDD, working effectively in a diverse work environment.
- Manages relationships with relevant Brokers and underwriters for coverages and endorsements.
- Reviews and determines all risks of loss to which GLDD’s assets are or may become exposed, and analyze such risks to determine how they can be eliminated, controlled, minimized, assumed or insured.
- Partners with the team who coordinates with employees and safety after an injury occurs interacting with appropriate underwriters during the process.
- Work closely with the legal department related to any claims that result in legal action.
- Approve dollar reserves for marine and non-marine property & liability and other claims exposures. Authorizes payment of claims up to approved limits.
- Conducts periodic surveys and studies on trends in the insurance industry and recommends changes and improvements in the program from both a cost and protection standpoint.
- Prepares and monitors the annual budget for the Risk Management Department which includes the estimated cost of claims, investigations and administration.
- Collects, consolidates, and analyzes accident/incident data in order to project GLDD’s exposure within program retentions and analyzes cost/benefit of various S.I.R./deductible programs.
- Represents the company in certain hearings, meetings, arbitrations and conferences. Presents testimony at such events as needed.
- Conduct contract reviews to assure the company is in compliance with insurance requirements.
- Coordinates all risk and claims activity with the Legal Department for proper compliance with laws and regulations.
- Interacts with each department to gather relevant facts that insure all exposures to risk of loss are considered and provided for at the best cost-to-risk ratio possible.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, risk management, insurance, finance or related field.
- Five (5) years experience as a Risk Manager in a $500 million plus company.
- In depth knowledge of applicable laws including liability law, tort law, insurance law, and workers’ compensation law.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate.
- Ability to use good judgment in the investigation, analysis, and evaluation of claims.
- Demonstrated ability to apply investigation methodology.
- Knowledge of and ability to use effective supervisory techniques.
- Ability to effectively manage the workload including organizing, prioritizing, meeting deadlines, and responding to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a changing environment.
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information or any other protected category.