The Staff Accountant will be responsible for period close related items such as reconciliations, journal entries, job cost project reviews and administrative functions that support the accounting department. With regard to job cost project reviews, the Staff Accountant will be responsible for project analysis and comparison to estimate, audit preparation, and internal control maintenance. During non-close periods, the position will be responsible for various departmental activities, special projects and supporting other team members. This position is located in Oak Brook, IL and offers great long-term potential.
- Understand monthly close and financial systems and be able to assist with close procedures
- Responsible for tracking the progress of the company’s projects including variance analysis and revenue recognition conforming with Percentage of Completion accounting
- Perform research to obtain financial information to support analytical calculations, reconciliations, etc.
- Working with various levels of operations/estimating personnel to gather project information
- Create and update spreadsheets to track relevant financial and non-financial information
- Reconcile sub-ledger detail to general ledger activity
- Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis
- Prepare journal entries to record miscellaneous business transactions
- Review expense invoices, checks and other supporting documents submitted by field personnel to ensure completeness and to verify compliance with company policies
- Provide assistance with internal/external examinations
- Provide support for various projects within the Accounting Department on an as need basis
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or equivalent from an accredited university
- 0-2 years of accounting experience, preferably in a construction environment
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP)
- Understand monthly close process and financial systems and be able to assist with close procedures
- Strong analytical and accounting skills
- MS Office skills required, Advanced Excel skills are a must
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks with high level of difficulty
GLDD Dredge & Dock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information or any other protected category.